Monday, November 29, 2010

Do you "Believe in Chiropractic?"

As a Chiropractor for over 16 years, I hear this statement all too regularly..."I don't really believe in Chiropractic." I guess it cracks me up (no pun intended) that people still view my profession as some kind of religion to be believed in or not.

The truth is that Chiropractic research is abounding. This is not about believing the dogma, it is about science.  I am still amazed after over 100 years that I hear people question the safety and effectiveness of Chiropractic. The fact that I spend more on car insurance than I do on malpractice insurance should be enough to convince people, yet old habits and dogma die hard.


Wilk v. American Medical Association


I understand what people mean when they say they don't believe. It is about people believing in the stories perpetuated by the medical profession. I am not just being a conspiracy theorist, this effort to stamp out the profession of Chiropractic is well documented and the year I entered Chiropractic school, the Wilk's case had just been decided. Wilk v. American Medical Association, (7th Cir. 1990), was a federal antitrust suit brought against the American Medical Association (AMA) and 10 co-defendants by chiropractor Chester A. Wilk, DC, and four co-plaintiffs. It resulted in a ruling against the AMA, saying they had engaged in an unlawful conspiracy in restraint of trade "to contain and eliminate the chiropractic profession." (Wilk v. American Medical Ass'n, 671 F. Supp. 1465, N.D. Ill. 1987). The judge further wrote that the "AMA had entered into a long history of illegal behavior". And, this judge issued a permanent injunction against the AMA to prevent such future behavior.

I BELIEVE IN CHIROPRACTIC!  I also believe that if people knew what I knew, they might do what I do.  This Oprah quote, as great as it is, requires a person to not only be open to new ideas, it also depends on someone letting go of ideas that are not working for them. We as a society, we are getting sicker and sicker (the US uses more prescription drugs than the rest of the world combined).  I am going to commence a series on Safety, Efficacy and Satisfaction as it relates to Chiropractic.  I hope you learn something new that will lead you to a greater expression of health, especially using Chiropractic as the foundation of that healing.

I believe in Chiropractic FIRST!!  Enjoy!

Dr. Stephanie Maj has a thriving family practice in the heart of Chicago. Her clinic is located at 1442 W. Belmont Ave., 1E, Chicago, IL 60657. 773.528.8485.  www.communitychiropractic.net

No comments:

Post a Comment