Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Let's Talk Pickles!

Of all the stories in my new book, You Can Be Well, the pickle story is the most mentioned to me by my readers.  I want to share it with you today.  First off I need to give my friend Carlene L. from Helena, MT credit for giving me this analogy.  It is powerful when used in any context and I am excited to explain it here.

How do you make a pickle?  Well, you get a cucumber and stick it into the brine and eventually it turns into a pickle.  At certain stages in the process, though, you can pull it out and it is still a cucumber, right?  There is that moment when the cucumber turns and it is a pickle and there is NOTHING you can do to turn it back.  It's a pickle now.

Our health is the same way. Early in our lives we are that cucumber and just take for granted that we will always have our health.  We spend little time, effort and money to make sure we stay well. Then it happens like it happens to so many people. We turn into that pickle. We get sick and our health starts slipping from us. It is at this time that all our time, effort and money goes to trying in vain to change this sick pickle body back to the cucumber. We all know of someone who has flown all over the globe to find an experimental cure to their life threatening disease. Most ‘cures’ unfortunately don’t work.

I want to get to you before you are a pickle, while we still have a chance to turn this whole thing around.  Are you a cucumber or a pickle?  What small thing can you do right now that will save you from the 'pickle life' and restore some of your cucumber qualities.  Share them with us in the comment section.

2 comments:

  1. [...] Original post by youcanbewell [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting analogy...how I can relate! I find that I've "pickled" in many instances in my life, and cannot turn back and change, but merely move forward and accept pickledom. Fortunately, that knowledge can now be carried on to future "picklings" and hopefully, I can stop the process before it's too late. Thanks so much for that interesting comparison!

    ReplyDelete